Raising Strong Girls: Resource List
February 22, 2018
I asked the Sparkle Team to share their favorite books and resources for raising strong girls, and together they created a wonderful list! We want to share it with you.
- Miss Rumphius - Barbara Cooney
- One Morning in Maine - Robert McClowski
- Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Flicka, Ricka, and Dicka Go to Market - Maj Lindman
- Paper Bag Princess - Robert Munsch
- Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls - Elena Favilli and Francesca Cavallo
- The Little People, Big Dreams Series (Amelia Earhart, Marie Curie, and Coco Chanel are our favorites)
- I Dissent: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Makes Her Mark - Debbie Levy and Elizabeth Baddeley
- Sonia Sotomayor: A Judge Grows in the Bronx - Jonah Winter and Edel Rodriguez
- Rosie Revere, Engineer - Andrea Beaty and David Roberts
- Ada Twist, Scientist - Andrea Beaty and David Roberts
- Kate and the Beanstalk - Mary Pope Osborne and Giselle Potter
- Amelia And Eleanor Go For A Ride - Pam Munoz Ryan and Brian Selznick
- The Story Of Ruby Bridges - Robert Coles and George Ford
- Firebird - Misty Copeland and Christopher Myers
- Betsy-Tacy series - Maud Hart Lovelace
- Fanny’s Dream - Caralyn Buehner
- Rad American Women - Kate Schatz and Miriam Klein Stahl
- Pippi Longstocking - Astrid Lindgren
A Mighty Girl An incredible resource list of books, toys and movies for smart, confident, courageous girls!
- My Neighbor Totoro
- Kiki's Delivery Service
- Queen of Katwe
- Nausicca of the Valley of the Wind
And of course we have to mention some of our favorite Sparkle stories about strong girls and women. Check out these three Sparkle Stories playlists for some great examples.
Not yet a subscriber? Try a free trial HERE.
About the Author
Lisabeth Sewell McCann
Doer of Many Wonderful and Odd Things (including CEO)
Lisabeth Sewell McCann has worn many hats at Sparkle over the years, from Sparkle Kitchen Blogger to Editorial Director to Doer of All Odd Jobs. Her primary role is as CEO. Lisabeth and David live in Austin, Texas with their two sons.